About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Friday 29 June 2012

Ginger Salted Wholewheat Cookies


These cookies have a mild ginger flavour and are not very sweet and can be made in a jiffy.

Ovie is a voracious reader (I should say voracious listener as she cannot read as yet) and loves flipping through pages of her books. The Gingerbread Man is one of her many favorite stories and I end up reading it at least 4 times a week. The story doesn't seize to amaze her. So one day after we read this story before her afternoon nap, I decided to surprise her. I baked these cookies in the shape of the ginger bread man and kept some by her bedside. Oh! the shriek that she let out on waking up.......'Mama the gingerbread man has come to my house....'

Ginger Salted Wholewheat Cookies
Makes 12-15 cookies

Wholewheat Flour: 1 cup
Baking Powder: 1 tsp
Ginger Powder: 3 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Raw Sugar: 2 tbsp
Sesame Seeds: 1 tbsp (optional)
Cold Unsalted Butter: 25 gms
Milk: 50 ml


  • Mix the first 6 ingredients in a bowl. 
  • Add the cold butter and rub it into the mixture and work it with 2 fingers and thumb until it resembles   crumbled biscuits.
  • Add milk little at a time and knead in into a soft dough.
  • Keep the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. 
  • Now, roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into desired shapes. 
  • Place on a greased baking tray / sheet. 
  • Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 12-15 min. Rotate the pan half way through to ensure even cooking. 
PS: The cookies will stay crisp for 2 days in an air tight container, so make only small quantities. 

I didn't add the sesame seeds in the mixture. I added them after I cut out the ginger man shape and used them as facial features. 





No comments:

Post a Comment