About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Tuesday 29 November 2011

Egg Tomato Rice

This Indian recipe is a meal by itself and great for the school lunch box.
The other day I had a bowl full of left over rice in the fridge. Did'nt feel like making the very popular Fried Rice that Ovie just loooooooooooooves. I convinced her to try a new 'Red' color fried rice and it was an instant hit. My husband also loved it (I mixed his portion with tons of chopped green chilies for his lunch box)so much that I even received a very 'rare' phone call from office!!!!!
This is like a One Pot Meal...its got carbohydrate, protein from the egg, Vitamin C from tomatoes.

Serves: 2

Long Grain Rice: 1 cup (I used Kollam)
Refined Oil: 2 tbsps
Egg: 2
Onion: 1 big
Tomato: 2 big
Ginger-Garlic paste: 2 tsps
Coriander Leaves: 3 tbsps
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Mint leaves/Pudina: 2 tsps
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Chili powder: 1/2 tsp (add more if your child can handle it)
Coriander powder: 2 tsp
Green chili: 1
Salt: to taste
Ghee/ clarified butter: 1 tbsp

1. Cook rice and cool it.Or you can use leftover rice.
2. Chop onion, coriander leaves and puree tomatoes. Slit the green chili in half.
3. Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add onion, curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, green chili, coriander & mint leaves. Saute until slightly brown.
4. Add all the powders, salt and stir. Then add the tomato puree. Add a pinch of sugar to balance out the sourness.
5. Cook on low heat until oil start to appear.
6. Break the eggs into the tomato sauce and roughly scramble.
7. Add the cooked rice and combine well with a spoon of ghee. Check for seasoning.
8. Serve it with papad/ fried potato.

PS: Vegetarians just need to omit the egg for a yummy Tomato Rice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment