About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Thursday 19 January 2012

French Toast with Pumpkin Puree


French toast is Ovie' s all time favorite school box snack. I like sending it too as it is a high protein dish with eggs and milk in it. But what if you add a vegetable puree to it......it becomes a wholesome meal by itself. I am yet to try other vegetables, but I find that the flavour of pumpkin blends so easily with that of egg that kids will not even realize it. 

French Toast with Pumpkin Puree

Wholewheat / Multi-grain Bread: 4 slices
Eggs: 2
Milk: 1/2 cup
Pumpkin Puree: 1/2 cup
Melted Jaggery: to taste
Vanilla Essence: 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon Powder (Optional): 1/2 tsp

To make pumpkin puree: Wash & cube pumpkin and steam it (either in a microwave or a steamer). It cooks really fast. Blend it in a blender. Add a little milk if required to get a smooth puree.

1. Beat eggs and vanilla essence in a flat bowl. Add all the other ingredients except bread and whisk until smooth.
2. Cut bread into desired shape (I used a cookie cutter)or use the whole slice as it is.
3. Soak the bread slices one by one in the egg mixture until its soaked up enough.
4. Heat a flat pan and grease it with butter. Place the soaked bread on it and fry both side. You may dribble some more butter to make it crisp. Press the bread with a spatula to make sure it gets cooked on the inside. 5. Serve as it is or make it more interesting with honey/ jam/ fruits / maple syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment