About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Monday 30 April 2012

Moist Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake


A moist chocolate cake made with whole wheat flour and cocoa and sprinkled with oats to increase its health quotient!

It was my birthday earlier this month and a bunch of friends from the neighbourhood dropped in at midnight with a chocolate cake. There were 2 cakes, so I saved one for the morning to cut in Ovie's presence (3 year olds do not consider it a birthday unless there is a cake... at least). I indulged her by letting her have a tiny piece of the cake and promising to bake her a healthier chocolate cake at home. She insisted on a 'black' coloured cake just like Amma's
I surfed around quite a bit and came across a recipe on www.sinfulcurry.com and tweaked it around a bit to make it child friendly. This recipe is for a small sized cake.

Moist Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake

Whole wheat flour: 90 gms
Baking Powder: 1 1/2 tsp
Salt: a pinch
Cocoa powder: 35 gms
Butter / Cream: 65 gms (I used cream & butter)
Unrefined Sugar: 90 gms
Egg : 1 no.
Milk: 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence: 1/2 tsp
Oats: 1 tbsp

  • Preheat an oven to 175 deg C. Grease or line a cake tin. I used a silicon cake tin which makes cleaning up so easy. 
  • Cream together butter and sugar well with a wooden spoon. Add egg and essence and beat well. 
  • Add the milk and mix. 
  • Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. 
  • Slowly add it little by little to the wet mixture and using the fold & cut method combine everything to a smooth batter. Be careful not to over mix it. Add a little more milk if required to moisten it. 
  • Pour the mixture into the cake tin, lightly bang the tin on the table to remove any air trapped inside. 
  • Sprinkle oats on top. 
  • Bake for 40 - 45mins or until a toothpick comes out clean and enjoy a huge slice of this healthy cake.
PS: This cake is best eaten when warm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment