About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Chickpea Sundal


Sundal is a typical South Indian Snack recipe that is so easy to cook and very kid friendly. It is associated with some festivals but I like to give it to Ovie as an evening snack. Its a great finger food for toddlers too. It can be eaten as a side dish with rice as well.

Every time I cook Chickpea / Chole curry, I keep aside some boiled chole in the fridge to make Sundal the next day.

Chickpea Sundal


Chickpeas / Kabuli Channa (white) : 1 cup
Canola Oil / Vegetable Oil: 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 2 sprigs
Dry red chili: 1 small piece (optional)
Urad Dal: 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder: a pinch (substitute with 2-3 crushed garlic cloves if you cant find this ingredient)
Turmeric Powder: a pinch
Grated Coconut: 2 tbsp
Salt to taste


  • Soak chickpeas in water overnight and drain it. Boil with fresh water in a pan or in a pressure cooker with just enough water.  I add one whole gooseberry / amla in the pan which imparts a dark colour to the chickpeas. Do not add salt as it slows the cooking process. the chickpeas should be soft but firm enough to hold its shape. When done, cool slightly and  drain any excess water.
  • Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the urad dal, red chili and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds. 
  • Now add the turmeric, asafoetida and salt, stir and immediately add the chickpeas. Saute for a minute and add the coconut and toss. 
  • Check for seasoning and serve warm as a healthy snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment