About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Thursday 21 June 2012

Baked Herbed Fries



Fries without oil ....have you heard of such a thing...Yes!! Its probably the healthiest way to indulge kids and their craving for fries and its done by baking them.

As a family, we love to eat out. But I make it a point to order as healthy as possible especially when Ovie is present. And we try to stay clear of fast food joints. However, fries usually end up sneaking on to the plate as an accompaniment or a starter ; and this really annoys me. So I began experimenting to see if potato strips become as crisp and tasty when baked as they do when deep fried. I added some additional seasoning and mixed herbs and the result is delicious. 

Baked Herbed Fries


Potatoes: 3
Salt: to taste
Paprika : a pinch
Pepper powder: 1 tsp
Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
Mixed herbs: 1-2 tbsp finely chopped (I used coriander and mint leaves...you could use any herbs or seasonings of choice)

  • Wash, peel and slice potatoes into fingers / fries.
  • Rinse them in cold water and let them soak in a bowl of cold water mixed with a tsp of sugar for 10 minutes.
  • Rinse again and pat them completely dry with a cloth to remove excess starch. 
  • In a big bowl mix olive oil with all the required seasonings and herbs and mix in the potatoes. 
  • Arrange them on a baking tray individually and bake in a pre-heated an oven at 200 C for 25 - 30 minutes. I turned the potatoes over in between to get an even colour. 
  • I switched the oven to grill mode for the last 3 minutes to get the fries real crisp and brown.
  • Serve warm with ketchup or mustard. 
Tips: Ensure the potatoes are rinsed in cold water and then patted dry. Any moisture will make them stick to the tray. The sugar helps to get the starch out.


No comments:

Post a Comment