About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Pumpkin Almond Whole Wheat Muffins


A wholesome pumpkin muffin so easy to bake that even a 3 year old can do it !! Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants and beta carotene and what a better way to start you day with this super vegetable.

Last week I came across a very yellow pumpkin at the organic store in the neighbourhood. Since they were not selling it in a small quantity, I found myself stuck with a huge pumpkin. I made a curry with a part of it and was wondering what to do with the rest. I stumbled across a blog called ladykayskitchen.blogspot
which had an interesting recipe for muffins using pumpkin. I have adapted the recipe from here and made a few changes.

Ovie had a very strange expression on her face when she realised I was adding pumpkin to her muffins. But once she got engrossed in whisking the eggs and making the muffins, she didn't care what went inside them. She was so thrilled at being involved in the whole cooking process and baking her own creation. Its such a wonderful idea to include kids while cooking for them.

The muffins are not very sweet which is perfect for breakfast.

Ovie's current favorite toy - 'The Whisk'


Pumpkin Almond Whole Wheat Muffins
Makes 6 (I halved the original recipe)

Wholewheat flour: 50 gms
Oats flour: 50 gms
Baking Powder: 1 tsp
Cinnamon Powder: 1 tsp


Egg: 1
Raw Sugar: 2 heaped tbsp
Canola Oil: 2 tbsp
Milk: 2 tbsp
Honey: 2 tbsp

Pumpkin Puree: 1/2 cup
Chopped nuts: 1/4 cup (I used almonds and pista)

  • In  a bowl mix together the first 4 ingredients. In another bowl whisk together the next 5 ingredients. 
  • Slowly add the flour mixture to this and stir gradually. 
  • Add the pumpkin puree and the nuts and combine. Do not over mix it. 
  • Spoon the mixture into a muffin tray (silicon) directly or into paper cups. 
  • Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 15-20 mins. 
  • Serve warm with a dribble of honey over it. 
To make pumpkin puree: I steamed chopped pumpkin in the microwave for 2 minutes and pureed it with a little milk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment