About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Bottle Gourd Whole Wheat Bread


This is the season for bottle gourd and there are plenty available in the market. I picked up a huge one and then struggled to finish it. I used some to make parathas (will post that recipe soon), dal, sambar and then a Bread !!  This recipe can easily be made into muffins too.

The bread was quite sticky because of the moisture content in the bottle gourd and probably because I added too much of it -1 cup of grated bottle gourd for 1 cup flour. This definitely needs to be reduced. It is not very sweet either.

I baked 3 mini loaf tins and Ovie gobbled one whole loaf in one sitting. When she knew it was made out of a green vegetable, she said "that's why it tasted yucky". But over the next two days, she finished the other loaf too. I guess that should say enough about the taste of the bread!!


Wet Ingredients
Egg: 1 large
Canola/ vegetable oil: 1/4 cup
Jaggery / Honey: 1/3 cup
Sugar: 1/3 cup
Vanilla Extract: 1/2 tsp

Dry Ingredients
Whole wheat flour: 1 cup
Salt: a pinch
Baking powder: 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder: 1 tsp

Grated Bottle Gourd: 3/4 to 1 cup
Chocolate chips: 1/2 cup
Chopped nuts: 1/2 cup

  • Pre-heat oven to 180 degree Celsius. 
  • Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
  • In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
  • Add the dry to the wet mixture and mix it very gently. 
  • Squeeze out excess liquid from the grated bottle gourd and add to the mixture. Do not over mix it.
  • Add the chocolate chips and nuts. 
  • Pour into greased loaf tin / muffin tray. 
  • Bake at 180 deg for 20-25 minutes or until cooked inside. Since I used silicon loaf tray, I reduced the baking time to 15 minutes. If using muffin tray reduce time to 15-20 minutes.
  • Insert a toothpick and check. If it comes out clean then its done. 
  • Let it cool on a wire rack before you de-mould it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment