About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Saturday 4 August 2012

Capsicum Egg Sandwich



This whole wheat sandwich is stuffed with a sumptuous filling of capsicum / green bell pepper and egg scrambled together with Indian spices. Very easy to make and ideal for your kid's school lunch box or a picnic box.

Two days ago, Ovie asks me ' why do we have to eat rice for lunch everyday...I am getting bored'. A very valid point I thought to myself. So yesterday, I gave her something different - a sandwich. My mother used to make this capsicum-egg scramble as a side dish with rice for our lunch. This was a great way to make us eat capsicum......... and the tradition continues.

Capsicum Egg Sandwich

Wholewheat Bread: 4 slices
Egg: 2
Capsicum: 2 small / 1 big
Onion: 1 small
Canola/Vegetable Oil: 2 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Chili powder: 1/4 tsp (optional)
Pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder: 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter as required
Grated cheese / cheese slices (optional)
  • Butter one side of each bread slice and keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add finely chopped onion and saute until it turns light brown.
  • Then add capsicum that has been de-seeded and chopped fine. 
  • Add all the remaining masalas and salt and cook covered for 2 minutes until capsicum is just cooked.
  • Add the eggs into the pan and scramble it well and check for seasoning. Turn off heat. 
  • Now spread the filling on two slices of bread on the un-buttered side. 
  • Add a layer of grated cheese or cheese slice if required. Place the other two slices on top of each filling - with the buttered side up.
  • Toast the bread in a toaster or on a pan until brown and crisp and the cheese has melted. 
  • Serve with ketchup.

2 comments:

  1. Healthy n yummy sandwich, looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Hemalata. I hope you will try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete