About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Tuesday 29 November 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes

This whole wheat pancake recipe with no sugar, no  baking soda is so delicious and easy to whip up.

Ovie is a die hard fan of 'Winnie the Pooh'. On a school morning came a request from a groggy pre schooler - 'Amma, today I want to take Pooh to school'. Since kids are not allowed to carry their toys to playschool, I had to come up with an edible Pooh ! I love to get creative with food to make them kid friendly.




Whole Wheat Pancakes


Serves: 4 teddies
Wholewheat flour: 3 heaped tbsp
Egg: 1
Milk: 1/2 cup
Jaggery: 2 tsp
Vanilla Essence: 1 drop (optional)
Raisins: 8
Dates: 2
Strawberry Jam: a little

1. If using jaggery (mollasses) melt it with a little water and strain to remove any impurities. (I always have a bottle of melted jaggery in my fridge. Its easy to add to recipes and a very very healthy alternative to sugar. Also jaggery is full of iron and has no chemicals in it like refined sugar.)

2. Whisk the egg and milk together with the jaggery. Add the essence.
3. Add the wholewheat flour and whisk it into a smooth thick batter.
4. Slightly grease a non-stick flat pan and heat it.
5. Pour a ladle of batter in a small round shape to make the teddy face. Make a semi circle on either side to form ears. The pancake should not be too thick.
6. Now place 2 raisins for 'eyes' and press slightly.
7. De-seed the dates and cut in half horizontally. Open it out to look like a round 'nose'. Place it in the centre of the pancake and press.
8. Now carefully turn the pancake over and press down with a spatula. This will cause the raisin to darken like eyes.
9. If you have a large pan, make 2-3 pancakes at a time.
10. Remove on a plate and use a small spoon to make a strawberry jam smiley.

PS: The teddy in my photo is missing his nose as my daughter had already eaten it. These pancakes did'nt reach school that day. They were polished off immediately.
Do let me know how your kids reacted to this pancake!

No comments:

Post a Comment