About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Healthy Food on-the-go when travelling with kids

My husband and I love to travel and the travel bug catches up with us every few weeks! Luckily Ovie also has inherited the travel bug. But I have always ensured that holidaying does not affect her nourishment. And because Ovie has never been given formula milk, ready made baby food or any processed food, I had to plan well in advance. Since we travelled quite often I had a travel food kit always ready !!

Here are some things that worked for me:

Our first holiday with our daughter was when she turned 7 months. I carried a mini electric rice cooker and made her breakfast, lunch and dinner. No we were not stuck in our hotel room the entire day. As soon as I woke up I would cook the oats. By the time we were dressed, the porridge was ready. Before we stepped out for breakfast I would put Veg Kitchidi (Rice + Lentils + chopped Veg + seasoning) into the rice cooker. This would be ready by the time we returned. Mash it , pack it and off we went sightseeing. Back only in the evening to cook dinner for Ovie which was semolina/ sooji porridge.
I also fed her fruits like bananas, papaya, avacado which are easy to mash with a spoon on-the-go.

By our next holiday Ovie was into finger food and it was much more easier. I carried some things from home and others I packed from the hotel such as:

1. Dried fruits - dates, apricots, prunes, raisins
2. Wholewheat cookies / biscuits
3. Organic oat bars
4. Finger strips of apple / pear / carrots/ cucumber
5. Wholewheat Bread with a spread that your child likes
6. Rava Idly - I used the MTR instant rava idly mix (available in most Indian grocery stores). All you need to do is mix this with double the quantity of curd/yogurt and microwave it for a minute. Your idly on the go is ready. This was a life saver for me on our European holiday.

When Ovie was a year old I had decided not to carry the rice cooker anymore. She had started eating from restaurants by then but still needed slightly soft, non-spicy food.

Breakfast: atleast one of the following are available in any decent hotel
1. Wheatflakes with milk
2. Eggs to order
3. Pancakes / Muffins
4. Idly / Dosa / Upma

Main meals:
1. Soups
2. Mashed Potato
3. Fish / Chicken grilled or steamed
4. Roti soaked in Dal / lentils
5. Wholewheat bread with choice of spread
6. Pasta
7. Rice/ Fried Rice / Pulao
8. Noodles

With just a little planning, travelling with kids can be fun. Just ensure you work with their schedule, keep their nap times in mind and keep their tummies full with yummy healthy food. We have travelled with Ovie within India, Europe, Middle East, South East Asia and food has never been a problem.

Happy Holidaying!!

No comments:

Post a Comment