About Me

I always enjoyed collecting recipes but never quite liked the idea of cooking on a daily basis. However things changed when my daughter was born 9 years ago. I was very keen on introducing her to healthy, wholesome yet delicious food. Thus began my journey to hunt and create recipes that were kid friendly.Having a hotel management degree did come quite handy. This collection of recipes will have absolutely minimal use of refined ingredients. I am constantly experimenting to substitute 'white' and processed products with wholegrain. I hope you will join me in this endeavor to ensure that our kids eat 'Healthy'.

Monday 26 March 2012

Vegetable Ragi Roti




Ragi, also known as finger millet or nachni is a rich source of Calcium and very, very nutritious. I seldom wonder why it is not so popular . I used to give it to Ovie as a porridge with milk and jaggery when she was 6 months old. Of course she refuses to have it in that form now, so I tried this recipe I found on a food site. I added a few vegetables to this roti to increase its fibre content further. 
I served it with a tomato-onion curry and coconut chutney and it was well accepted by the jury (husband and daughter) . This ragi roti is sure to join our weekly breakfast menu !

Vegetable Ragi  Roti
Ragi Flour: 1 cup
Rice Flour: 2/3 cup
Onion: 1 finely chopped
Vegetables: 1 cup shredded (Carrot, Cauliflower, Broccoli) 
Coriander Leaves: 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves: 2-3
Turmeric Powder: a pinch
Salt: to taste
Canola Oil: 2 tsp
Green Chili: 1 (optional)
Warm water for kneading
  • Mix all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough with sufficient warm water. The dough will be coarse and will break off easily. It will not be as malleable as wheat dough. 
  • Wet your palms and take a lemon size ball of the dough. Place it on a greased plastic sheet or foil paper.
  • Pat it into a round shape as thin as possible. 
  • Heat a non-stick pan and grease it with a little oil. 
  • Now lift the roti with the foil and flip in onto the pan. Remove the foil carefully once the roti starts to cook. 
  • Cook both sides with a little oil (like a paratha) pressing it down with a spatula to ensure the roti is cooked well  inside. 
  • Serve it with a curry, chutney, yogurt mint dip or peanut butter (that's how my daughter loves it). 


No comments:

Post a Comment